Rats! These rodents are among the most intelligent pests that homeowners have to deal with.
Did you know:
- Large rats can squeeze through a half inch opening, and smaller rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter.
- Fire investigators believe that perhaps as many as 25% of all fires of unknown origin may be caused by rats and mice.
- Rats can leave up to 25,000 dropping per year.
- Rats can fall 50 feet without being injured – that’s over four stories!
- According to the US Fish and Wildlife, rats destroy approximately 20% of all agricultural products in the world every year.
- According to US Fish and Wildlife, rat born diseases are thought to have taken more human lives in the last 10 centuries than all the causalities of all the wars and revolutions combined.
- According to US Fish and Wildlife, some species of rats can swim over a mile in open water and can tread water and can tread water for up to three days.
- Some rats can go longer without water than camels.
- The front incisors of a rat are rated at a 5.5 on the Mohs hardness scale, meaning that rats can easily gnaw through concrete, lead, aluminum, wood, copper, iron, and even some steels.
- About 14,000 rat attacks are reported annually in the US, however health officials believe that many rat bites go unreported.
If you think you might have rats in your home or business, get it taken care of as early as possible by a team that has experience dealing with this clever and destructive pest.